Sunday, August 9, 2009

"Hey, Buddy"

I'd like to register my objection now to the current trend of fathers calling their sons "buddy." (You can hear one such utterance here.)

What's up with that? Is this but one more abdication of parenthood roles for modern Americans? Maybe kids can start calling the TV set 'dad' and maybe the microwave 'mom' so their parents can just get back to being pals. As it is, 21-year old school teachers spend more time with kids than parents do. Is this just an admission that we no longer have any idea how to - or perhaps any desire to - parent? I guess that would be something. Or perhaps it says something about the modern American male and his total lack of paternal backbone. Couldn't say, but like I said before- my objection is hereby registered.

D-Blog

0 comments:

Post a Comment