Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Brazil

I haven't watched this movie since college, but when I was a kid, it was one of my absolute favorites. For the time, the sets and costumes were extraordinary, and even in my youth I could already relate to the "rage against the machine" mentality of the story.

Looking back some 15 years later, I'm pleased that there's not too much that's new to me other than the dream sequences fitting nicely into a Jungian context. But what I love, what I *love* is that all of the terrorists have American accents (that is deNero and the girl lead). Obviously they meant it in the pre-9/11 context when Americans were seen as the rebels to the British social straight-jacket. But it's really funny hearing Robert de Nero in his best NYC Medallion voice saying "bloody ducts."

Great stuff.

0 comments:

Post a Comment